Department of Gynaecology & Obstetrics(She Care)
Welcome To Gangasheel Hospital
What is Painless Delivery?
A pain-free delivery can be achieved with a form of regional anesthesia that relieves pain during natural childbirth. Epidural anesthesia is given through an injection into the mother's lower back. It takes 10 to 15 minutes for the medicine to work. It is a good option for women who are less able to tolerate pain and would otherwise choose to have a cesarean.
- Painless childbirth gives women the opportunity to experience natural childbirth with very little intervention. It has helped reduce the number of elective Caesarean sections in India.
- Women have the option of having an epidural during labor if they feel they cannot handle the pain, are tired of pushing, or in an emergency need an urgent cesarean.
- The pain relief allows the mother to focus on giving birth. It is a relaxation aid and can prevent the fatigue and irritation most women experience during childbirth and reduce the risk of postpartum complications.
- Helps baby descend by relaxing pelvic and vaginal muscles.
- It also helps lower the mother's blood pressure, which can otherwise rise to dangerous levels during labor.
Although it is very rare, an epidural procedure can cause some long-term complications, including :-
- Permanent neurological deficit due to damage to the spinal cord or nerve root from the epidural injection.
- Chronic pain due to spinal cord or nerve root damage from an epidural injection.
- Permanent paralysis is caused by a hematoma, which occurs when blood pools between the dura mater and the spinal cord.
If you are having an epidural for labor and delivery, the following rare side effects may occur after delivery :-
- Severe headache
- Temporary difficulty urinating
- Temporary difficulty walking
- You will likely have a little bruising and some tenderness at the epidural site after delivery
- It will get improve in a day or two
Yes, This is available in Bareilly at Gangasheel Hospital.